05 Visa and Regulations.
There are different types of Sri Lanka visas but the most common visa for touring Sri Lanka is a single entry tourist visa, which is valid for up to one month. A Sri Lanka visa for overseas passport holders is required when travelling to the country. Visa regulations are simple. Tourists visiting Sri lanka can enter the country with minimum formalities.
Citizens of following 77 countries can enter Sri Lanka without a prior visa and will be allowed an entry visa for between 30-90 days (depending on country of nationality) at the point of entry without any payment.
01. Albania 21. Estonia 41. Luxembourg 61. Slovakia
02. Armenia 22. Finland 42. Macedonia 62. Slovenia
03. Australia 23. France 43. Maldives 63. South Africa
04. Austria 24. Georgia 44. Malaysia 64. South Korea
05. Azerbaijan 25. Germany 45. Moldova 65. Spain
06. Bahrain 26. Greece 46. Netherlands 66. Sweden
07. Bangladesh 27. Hong Kong 47. New Zealand 67. Switzerland
08. Belarus 28. Hungary 48. Nepal 68. Taiwan
09. Belgium 29. India 49. Norway 69. Tajikistan
10. Bhutan 30. Indonesia 50. Oman 70. Thailand
11. Bosnia-Herzegovina 31. Iran 51. Pakistan 71. Turkey
12. Brunei 32. Ireland 52. Philippines 72. Turkmenistan
13. Bulgaria 33. Israel 53. Poland 73. U.A.E.
14. Canada 34. Italy 54. Portugal 74. U.K.
15. China 35. Japan 55. Romania 75. Ukraine
16. Croatia 36. Kazakhstan 56. Russian Federation 76. U.S.A.
17. Cyprus 37. Kyrgyz Stan 57. Saudi Arabia 77. Uzbekistan
18. Czech, Republic 38. Kuwait 58. Serbia-Montenegro
19. Denmark 39. Latvia 59. Seychelles
Nationals of countries not classified in the above 77 countries are required to possess a valid visa, obtained from the respective Sri Lanka Diplomatic Missions, prior to entering the country irrespective of the purpose of visit. Tourists should have a return air ticket, sufficient foreign exchange @ US$ 30/- per day, and valid travel documents to establish their bona-fide as tourists.
The Sri Lanka business visa is usually issued for a single entry within 90 days provided the passport remains valid, for a period of stay not exceeding 30 days. Three months multiple entries visa is available on request. Passport must have at least six months validity beyond entry date and must contain at least one blank visa page for visa to be issued.
For obtaining business visa, a business letter of responsibility typewritten on official letterhead is required and it should be addressed to the Sri Lankan embassy in the concerned country.
The letter must state all of the following:
• The nature of the business to be performed
• The name of the business reference to be visited
• Guarantee sufficient financial support for the visit
• Guarantee return transportation to the country of origin
Your sponsor letter should be signed by a company officer other than the applicant.
Your sponsor in Sri Lanka must send a fax to the Embassy of Sri Lanka in the country of origin, stating the name of the applicant, confirming the business trip (fax must include company address and type of business). For stay over 7 days, the letter must be sent via the Immigration Department in Colombo.